Re: LF: Grabber image format

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Grabber image format
From: Ko Versteeg <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:11:26 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
[email protected] wrote:
Dear LF Group,

today I have changed the 8-bit image format for my grabber from .gif to .png. This appears to save some 20% of volume, due to a more effective lossless compression algorithm.

When I started grabber operation I had tried various flavours of .jpg first, but the halved colour resolution soon turned out inadequate for many fine details on the colour-DF display. With 256 colours and lossless compression, resolution looked much better, but very weak signals and noise details tended to get masked off by too few dark palette entries. I got around that by brightening the original bitmap (gamma=1.49 in IrfanView) before reducing to 8 bits, and then darkening the colour table again (gamma=0.67) before uploading.

Please report if you find any difficulties displaying or downloading the .png images.

73 de Markus, DF6NM

http://members.aol.com/df6nm/Grabber.htm

Hi Markus
No problem here either
I am using .PNG for 2 years now on the website for some images, 6 i guess
that have to be clear [ without .JPG fringing and discoloring]

73 and Season Greetings, Ko.
--
 NL9222  "The only way out is Through"
 Loc: JO22KE [ Lat: 52° 12' 15.89" N ~ Lon: 04° 51' 42.04" E ]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0656-0, 12/11/2006
Tested on: 12/11/2006 10:11:31 PM