Re: LF: RE: LPF coils and VY1JA to 1W ERP

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: RE: LPF coils and VY1JA to 1W ERP
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:20:10 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Ha-Jo,

Ten years ago I have been tinkering with passive audio bandpass filters.
In an attemp to reduce the physical size of the inductors, some 9 mm hi-mu cores were used. The Q of the inductors was measured using a signal generator loosely coupled to the tuned circuit and reading the frequency at the - 3 dB points which were measured with a high impedance probe and oscilloscope. I found that the resonance frequency varied with applied AC voltage.

In my note book I have the data for a FT-37-43 ferrite core with 200 windings: The tuned circuit had a 1 uF capacitor in parallel with the core and was coupled to the audio generator by a 10nF capacitor.

Vpp(mV)        F(Hz)        L(mH)
=======================
1                    1214            17.2
2                    1208            17.4
3                    1186            18.0
4                    1176            18.3
5                    1162            18.8
10                  1134            19.7
15                  1103            20.8
20                  1073            22.0
25                  1064            22.4
30                  1026            24.1

A filter was build with 88mH 9 mm cores with a lot of windings.
I still have it in a direct conversion receiver.
The funny thing is that one can use it as a very crude AGC system when the signal is tuned to the slope of the filter.

It appeared that larger cores suffered less from this effect and the TOKO series 10RB magnitically screened inductors did not have it at all.

Best regards,

Roelfo Bakker, pa0rdt