LF: RE: Re: RE: Re: Re: erp eirp - bluff

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Re: RE: Re: Re: erp eirp - bluff
From: Talbot Andrew <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:08:00 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Welll........
As as an isotrope is a point source, it must have one dimensional
polarisation mustn't it :-}

In reality, polarisation cannot be defined - a true omnidirectional radiator
is (probably) not possible.  If it were, its polarisation would have to be
uniform in all directions at the same time.

Having said that, I remember being told by someone who worked on the UK
space programme in the 1950's that they put up an ionospheric drag
monitoring satellite that consisted of a completely spherical spacecraft
that they wanted to freely tumble. The diameter would have been in the
region of 0.5 to 1 metre I imagine.  Consequently it had to have a good
isotropic radiating pattern at VHF.  They ended up with a surface made up of
three equal sections each fed 120 degrees out of phase that exhibited a
pattern within 1.5dB of isotropic.   With a radiatiator made up of three 1m
type sections, there must have been some polarisation sensitivity, and that
probably comes into the 1.5dB error budget.

Working in a government scientific establishment in those days must have
been quite interresting.

Andy  G4JNT