LF: Poldhu Beacon

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Poldhu Beacon
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 12:03:15 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all I know this is not LF, but It strikes me that this experiment to look
at the propagation over the North Atlantic at the Solar Min could yield all
sorts of extra bonuses. I am suggesting that it would be extremely
interesting to get logs from stations in the UK and in Europe ( and possibly
further away) during the period of operation. It is very unusual to be
allowed to mount a beacon in Europe below 10MHz, and because this is the
last winter of this solar minimum the timing and conditions are such as to
yield interesting information.

I logged the beacon during its tests in June when It was located in
Southampton and I did get some very interesting (and unexpected, to me,
results) There is a lot of anecdotal propagation information on top-band but
little hard data. This is an opportunity to correct this shortage.

I past a message from Keith at the Poldhu club which conatins information
about the monitoring software availablity ( the same soundcard softaware as
is used for 5MHz beacon monitoring)

I would be interested if we could also relate this data to 136kHz and maybe
also 500kHz observations during the period, thus bracketing the frequency
believed to have been used by GM.

Thanks de Alan G3NYK
Member of the RSGB Propagation Studies Committee
-------------------------------------snip
Hi Alan,
            Thanks for the e-mail. Yes, beacon will be on from the 1st Nov
to end of Jan. Bursts will last about 2mins and be on the hour and every
15mins. Format will be similar to the 5MHz beacons, with some PSK31 info
with location and reporting details etc. Reporting will be to
[email protected]. I'll be downloading it every day or so. I've had
incredible difficulty getting info out. People keep 'editing' my stuff until
it makes little sense. It didn't help that I only got semi official
confirmation of the licence less than a month ago - thanks to OFCOM I now
have a 'letter of confirmation' - nearly as good as a licence! Good to know
that you and Joe are friends - I got across to Newfoundland and met him the
year before last and did the pilgrimage!
                    Hope this helps and keep in touch, 73,
                                                      Keith, G0WYS
PS We will keep our website up to date with developments www.gb2gm.org.uk