LF: Russian ELF transmitter on 82 Hz active

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Russian ELF transmitter on 82 Hz active
From: Wolf DL4YHF <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:46:42 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Greetings all,

Sorry for this off-band topic but at least it's a bit LF-related:

The Russian "ZEVS" ELF transmitter on 82 Hz is very active these days, possibly 24 hours a day. This afternoon I connected DK4U's 200 meter LF wire directly to the soundcard ("line-in"), and voila - a weak but very stable signal at 82 Hz (unlike 16 2/3 and 50 Hz, which are kind of "wobbly" if one takes a close look, and definitely not a signal from a CRT monitor). A friend in Italy recently informed me about that transmission.

Some interesting reading is here: http://www.vlf.it/zevs/zevs.htm .

Just imagine - they produce an ERP in the "watts"-range, with two earth electrodes separated 60 km's, pushing in some 200 .. 300 Amperes to use mother earth as antenna.

So, if you find no activity on LF these days (and are sure that the next T-storm is far away), just try it - it's amazing what can be seen on ELF even if it's not really amateur radio.

Best regards,
Wolf DL4YHF .