LF: Re: Antenna or transmitter tuning

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Antenna or transmitter tuning
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:39:32 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jay as the antenna is now "tuned" using the lower powered rig, there
should be nothing in circuit to affect the scopemeter that was not present
at lower power. There is the possibility of saturation in the matching
transformer at the end of the coax, but I dont think that is likely to be
significant. Laurence's  thoughts are interesting and ground loops with the
scope could be the culprit with the higher field strength despite the
greater distance to the antenna.

There is one other effect that will come in only as you increase power and
could affect the waveforms on peaks..... that is insulator loss, corona
discharge. At the higher powers you are now running, you will need to be
certain that you do not have any tight bends in the antenna wires and that
all end insulators are fitted with anti-corona rings. Sudden bursts of
discharge current at the peak voltage point on the waveform could possibly
give some of the effect you see. Jim who has run 1kW is more likely to able
able to comment on that possibility, and provide suggestions on anti-corona
rings.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK