LF: Transformer problem; advice sought

To: [email protected] (rsgb lf reflector)
Subject: LF: Transformer problem; advice sought
From: [email protected] (Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ)
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 02:55:55 +0000
Cc: [email protected] (LWCA LF Reflector)
Sender: [email protected]
Hello the list,

   I have been experiencing heating problems with my step-down toroidal
transformer that feeds my transmit loop. Fearing core saturaton issues I have
been going to ever larger cores and more and more turns in an attempt to reduce
the flux density.  My latest core is 4 stacked 4" diameter Mix 78 toroids
weighing a total of 3 pounds (1.34 Kg) with 28 turns of #10 on the 50 ohm
winding and 5 turns of 16 mm2 wire on the loop side.

 Now for the puzzle: As suggested by J.B., I hooked two transformers back to
back ; the present transformer (described above) and the previous model (4
stacked FT-290-77 toroids with 17 turns on the 50 ohm side and 3 turns on the
loop side.  I connected the two transfomers with the the loop windings from one
going into the loop winding of the next. One transformer 50 ohm winding was
hooked to a 50 ohm Bird Dummy Load, the other transformer's 50 ohm winding went
to an AEA VIA impedance bridge.  Much to my surprise I had a high swr and
reactance !!!
The swr was on the order of 2.7:1 and the reactance was 45-55 ohm and
increasing with frequency.

 Any thoughts on why I should show a reactive component when one transformer
went directly to a 50 ohm load?

--
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ
FN42hi