LF: Old stations never die ... Mysteroius morse code ... on a BBC transm

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Old stations never die ... Mysteroius morse code ... on a BBC transmission!
From: "Holger 'Geri', DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 10:00:12 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello friends,

let me tell you about some mysterous things that happened to me recently and that nearly made me drive off the road on my way to work.

As some of you know I am a friend of Irish folk music (I play the fiddle in a folk-music band). There is a weekly radio show on BBD 4 Radio Ulster featuring folk-music. This show can be downloaded on the internet which is very convenient because what I do is to record it to an MP3 file and burn it onto a CD so that I can listen to it while driving to or back from work.

I hadn't have time to listen fo the show for a while, so about a week ago I took the CD containing the radio show of May 6, 2006 into my car and listened to it on my way to work. Column Sands, the moderator, had just been in Australia and he brought some nice tunes and songs with him that he played. There was a nice and sad song called "The Old Station" (in the song a railway station was meant). Suddenly, during the chorus in the middle of the song, I heard morse code! My first thougth was that the DI2BO beacon transmission had been recorded on the CD but that was impossible because all recording was directly digital inside the computer, so there was no way to interfere with an analogue signal.

I stopped my car and re-wound the song. I decoded the message "Old stations never die" ... it was obviously a recording form an original radio transmission because noise could be heard in the background. First I thought that somebody at the recording studio had played this message onto the CD but later I checked another version of the song, and there is no hidden message on it! So somebody at BBC must have had mixed this CW message onto the transmissions. But why?

The message rang a bell. I looked it up on the internet and yes, I remembered. The last message of many of the coastal radio stations on 500 kHz when they shut down a few years back was "OLD STATIONS NEVER DIE, THEY JUST FADE AWAY".

Well, my 440 kHz experimental beacon DI2BO is using an old MF ship radio transmitter build some 35 years ago ... it surely has seen a lot while travelling the seven seas. The ship may have been wracked in the meantime, the station had been decomissioned, the parts ending up on a flea market to be sold. It has been waiting in my spare-part warehouse (some would say: electronics junkyard) until the time was ready to apply for an experimental license for MF transmissions and the station was put on the air again.

Some stations never die ...

Remember, on what date that BBC radio show was transmitted? Yes, May 6th 2006, in the late evening.

Well, guess when I started DI2BO's transmissions and what date I anounced it here on the web and on the reflector? Yes, indeed: May 6th, 2006 (in the morning)!

Who in the world is sitting in BBC 4th technical department and reads the reflector? Or was this just a mysterious chain of incidences?

Best 73

Geri, DK8KW / DI2BO