LF: Transformer idea

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Transformer idea
From: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 20:49:02 +0100
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Guys,

I came up with an idea for a universal matching transformer based on information
that I got from XKO's and GW4ALG's websites, and before I build it I thought I'd
ask for your opinions and suggestions.  It's for use with a Marconi antenna.

The core is a square toroid from a TV horizontal output transformer, measuring
about 3 inches on a side and a cross section of about 1/2 inch or so.  All of the
original windings have been removed and the two C pieces are tightly clamped
together.

My design would have a primary wound on one side of the square consisting of
10 turns in total, with a tap at 9 turns.  The first secondary would be a single
winding of 8 turns wound directly over the primary.  The second secondary is
different in that it would be 2 quadrafilar turns wound directly over the first two
windings and connected such that there would be taps at 2, 4, 6, and 8 turns.
The two secondary windings would be connected in series aiding, so that the
available taps would be 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 turns.

Depending on tap selection, there would be 10 different turns ratios available
that would, with a 50 ohm input to the primary, give a range of output Z from
32 to 150 ohms.

Are there any flaws with this idea and should I go ahead and build it?

73, J.B., VE3EAR - VE3WZL
Solar and wind powered
EN93dr