LF: Re: 'meter problem'

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 'meter problem'
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 22:25:30 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dick, I may be wrong about this but the "power" linearity of the meter in
the SWR circuit depends upon the diodes bring operated in their square law
region. This requires the right range meter, because this supplies the load
to the diodes....they are usually fairly easily obtainable these days from
flea-markets though they may not always be scaled as you might expect. You
may put an amplifier in the circuit but you must be sure the meter amplifier
is linear and provides the correct load to the diodes. I would suggest you
really should use an op-amp but I appreciate there is then a supply problem.
I think it unlikely you will be able to retain the linear power calibation
with just a single FET or BJT.....but is it important ?? you really only
need an indication, and a indication of the tuning.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK