Re: LF: First VE7 to VY1 QSO on 137.6

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: First VE7 to VY1 QSO on 137.6
From: "J. Allen" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:34:02 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Lawrence,

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words. The weak traces were those of Steve, VE7SL. His station was on 137573.0 I really did not expect my signal to be seen even in BC at its current power level and was very glad to find Steve report such good copy. Please watch for me in a couple of weeks, when the power is up.

The next steps are to raise power to our temporary license maximum limit, to prove compatibility with power utility Power Line Carrier systems. This experiment in Yukon hopes to show two things, cohabitation of amateur 137 kHz operation with PLC, and beginning steps toward understanding 137 propagation to and from above 60 degrees latitude.. For the second, I rely on folks like you to capture or comment on what you can make out of my signals, when propagation is favorable. Some of you have already received traces which I have made of your signals.

If you or anyone else would like to see how your ghost traces of Steve's signal line up with what I received let me know. The same goes for the .WAV files of audible standard CW from his location as heard here. This is the second time audible CW has been heard here from down in lower BC, over 1000 miles distant.

I can send files next week but right now, I am studying for an examination related to (of all things) SCADA system software. I am currently training to become an effective IT instructor. Quite a change after three years of retirement... challenging fun not unlike operating on 137.

I will be watching for your signal when the watering hole is filled with wildlife. By the way, the other animals there will likely be calling my signals, "Simone", (was that the name of the little guy in The Lion King?), because signals coming from the NW corner of North America will not likely be the biggest ones there.

73,

J.