Re: LF: T/A May, 12 th

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: T/A May, 12 th
From: Joe Craig <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 21:06:06 -0230 (NDT)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Group,

Hartmut wrote:
> on a QRSS3 screen. Nothing from Joe, VO1NA. Probably the tx was
> off.

Which is correct.  I neglected to switch it back on after tinkering
around in the shack.  It should be back on again tonight.

I made some observations while on the ocean last month.  My beacon
could be heard at 400 km using a 2' loop (15 turns, 35 dB preamp)
and at 60 km using the Miniwhip. (The RX is very deaf and intermod
prone -- it was not designed for LF.)  The signals could be heard
both day and night up to 400 km.

Using Argo, XGJ XES and XNS were copied and were generally stronger
than NA (at 700km)  even though they were much farther away, presumably
because they were skywave.

My thanks to DF6NM DL4YHF F1AFJ F5YG G3AQC G3NYK G3YXM G4WGT H.Wolff
K2ORS OZ7QC PA0RDT PA3FNY (and apologies to anyone I left out) who
sent reports of NA over the past month or so.

I best switch on the TX now before I forget to do it again!
The class E TX (100W) was used since about 20 April.  The Decca will
be on soon.

NA 137.7770 kHz QRSS60 500 watts 2.5 amps to a 100m wire up 10m.

73
Joe VO1NA