LF: Re: [LW] Quickfield (was parallel plane capacity)

To: [email protected], <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: [LW] Quickfield (was parallel plane capacity)
From: [email protected] (Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 01:33:42 +0000
Cc: [email protected] (rsgb lf reflector)
Sender: [email protected]
Hello the list,

     I was re-reading the AMRAD Active Antenna article today and came across
the following:

"LF signals have very long wavelengths:at 136 kHz, 1 wavelength is 7181 feet. At
these wavelengths, the average suburban yard is less than 1/10 wavelength
across, so
an electrostatic field may be used to approximate LF waves. Thus, at LF, those
areas with a zero electrostatic field will also have a zero, or near-zero LF
field
strength. The freely downloadable student version of the QuickField Finite
Element
Analysis program (www .quickfield.com) can be used to plot the electrostatic
field
around a simple house and yard model.13"

   There is indeed a free download student version of Quickfield (release date
3 April 2006!)
Quickfield is a powerful finite-element program that can be used for
electrostatics, heat transfer,  DC magnetic fields
AND AC Magnetic fields - could be a powerful tool for calculating core loss in
transformers as well.

But the relevance here is that it will calculate self capacitance and
capacitance between conductors (including fringe effects!)
This may be the way to calculate the capacitance between an LF vertical with
top hat and a counterpoise (or ground).

I'm still learning how to use this tool but it apparently has a lot of
applications at LF.

--
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ
FN42hi