LF: Re: DSP Question I/Q inputs?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: DSP Question I/Q inputs?
From: Alberto di Bene <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:50:22 +0100
Cc: LWCA LF Reflector <[email protected]>
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:52:39 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Z-usanet-msgid: XID755kBoRYX0496X36
Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ wrote:
Hello the list,

A friend of mine is building a hardware converter for his Racal 6830 that will mix the 455kHz i.f. down to 8.44 kHz and provide I/Q outputs. This is so he can pipe the output into Alberto's SDRADIO program and demodulate the wideband modes (AM/FM/SSB) in DSP. A question arises would there be any applications at LF? I'm thinking it might be useful for PSK type signals but not sure on this one.

   Alberto, Wolf, any thoughts on this one?

--
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ

Warren,

  you can certainly recover the PSK modulated signal using the USB or the LSB
mode of SDRadio.
But then you need a PSK decoder. One possible solution would be to use VAC
(Virtual Audio Cable).
VAC implements virtual sound cards, so, e.g. you can tell SDRadio that the
output sound card
is Virtual Cable Out 1, then you tell to the PSK program of your choice to
accept input from the
Virtual Cable In 1. Using this technique you can reroute the output of a sound
card program to
the input of another sound card program without the need of having two separate
sound cards
in your PC. I have used it and it works. The URL where you can find it is:
http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html

It is not free though...a single copy will cost you 30 USD. There is also a
demo version, but its
purpose is just to evaluate if VAC would work on your setup before shelling the
money, as after
just a couple of minutes of working, it adds artificial noise to the rerouted
audio...clever guy!

73  Alberto  I2PHD