LF: Re: Powedered Iron Cores for high power?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Powedered Iron Cores for high power?
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 23:32:44 -0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:28:51 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Warren

I obtained a large powdered iron core ring (of uncertain pedigree), about
5inches diameter from either one of the Decca sites or from Rugby before it
closed down. On this I wound about 12 turns of 12SWG wire tapped at every
turn to make a multi-ratio auto transformer to match the Decca transmitter
to the bottom of the loading coil. This handled around 7amps to the antenna
when the Decca was on full power and  the core and windings just became
slightly warm after a couple of hours operation.

73

Peter G3LDO

 My loop has a step down transformer from 50 ohms to the loop impedance of
about
1.7 ohms. I've implemented this with 4 stacked FT-290-77 ferrites and 16
turns
of #10 teflon for the 50 ohm side and 3 turns of some european 16mm2
rubber
insulated wire for the low impedance loop side of the transformer. The
transformer and resonating caps are mounted in an fiberglass electrical
enclosure outside. The core does heat up - to the point where I've been
leaving
the door to the enclosure open (not good!)   I know that if I increase the
turns
on the loop side I'll decrease the magnetic flux density and hence reduce
the
core heating. However, the windings themselves appear to heat up a little
independent of the core heating. I'm reluctant to go to smaller gauge wire
and I
can't fit any more turns on the existing core. I've found a powdered iron
core
T-520-52 that seems like it might do the trick. The mix 52 material is a
lower
loss version of the Mix 26 material. The permeability is high enough so
that I
can get enough inductance on the 50 ohm side with a reasonable number of
turns.
(Using the rule that inductive reactance of the primary is at least 5x the
source impedance of 50 ohms).  Does anyone have any experience with
powdered
iron cores at high power? Any thoughts on this problem?
Thanks & 73
Warren

--
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ