LF: COILS

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: COILS
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 12:12:23 -0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 12:15:41 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi All
Ref recent articles about burnt out coils.
If possible only use single layer coils ie do not pile wind except there is no alternative. Pile wound coils handling high voltages ultimately burn up. Using ferrite, powdered iron cores, because of the small size sometimes it is difficult to get the required number of turns on the core and in that case I suppose overwinding is necessary, but go for a bigger core and avoid the problem.
I have never pile wound any coils and so never had a problem.
The litz wire on the decca pa coils has poor insulation for pile winding but just about works for single layer.
The litz wire on the larger loading coils, of which I have two is much better because of the plastic insulation. It has 729 strands if you count them !!
73 de Mal/G3KEV