LF: Re: Re: Can't see the wood for the trees

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Can't see the wood for the trees
From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:25:45 -0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:27:03 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Think I've found a way of getting the answer without having to back to first
FFT principles - it had to be possible.

Take a DC voltage of level = 1.0, In a unit resistance the  power also = 1.
When chopped by a 2% duty cycle pulse train, this will have a mean DC
VOLTAGE of 0.02
For any signal so chopped, its  mean POWER will also be 0.02
Now, a voltage of 0.02  NORMALLY means a power of 0.02^2  = 0.0004 so
something is going on.
The solution is that the extra power (0.02 - 0.0004) is going into the
sidebands / frequency comb.

So, an easy way to calculate the absolute level of any comb component is to
first find out the zero frequency term, which is the 0.02  VOLTAGE in this
case, then apply sin(x)/x to any other terms as needed and multiply the
result by the zero frequency value to obtain the absolute level.

So, using the 5MHz sounder sequence, DC term (carrier when at RF) = 0.02
voltage = -34db on the CW power.  At 1kHz away, X = 1kHz * 500us pulse width
= 0.5, so   further attenuation = sin (pi.0.5)/pi.0.5 =  0.64 = -4dB.
So sideband level at 1kHz away from 5.29MHz = -39db on the CW tone.

Which is very close to what I'm seeing  - QED

Seems a rather convoluted calcualtion, but it got there!

Andy  G4JNT