Re: LF: XGJ..Decca Litz

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: XGJ..Decca Litz
From: Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:01:44 +0000
Cc: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:02:37 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Alan,

  The Decca Litz I used was from the transmitter tank coils, not the external
antenna loading coils. The Decca TX I got from Andre N4ICK (Andre got it from
David G0MRF) was originally on 70.233 kHz. I had to both decrease the tank
capacitance and the inductance to maintain Q. The wire I used for the
transformer came from turns I took off one of the tank coils.

--
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ
FN42hi

From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Hi Mike and all, you need to be a bit carefull talking about the Decca Litz, because the coils were substantially air spaced. They are not solenoid wound, but more like a basket wind. There were several parallel strands of wire, "wavewound" on large formers with, I would estimate (I have disassembled my coil), about 0.5in. between layers ( plus the lateral distance of wavewind) So It was not dependent on the insulation. I have some Litzwire from that source that has only cotton insulation (DCC) but i dont know what this was used for. The wire on the coils has a thin plastic sheath over the cotton, but I think this is only intended for mechanical strength to protect the cotton cover during the winding process, and subsequent chaffing on the perspex (Lucite ??) separator "combs".

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
----- Original Message ----- From: MIKE REID To: [email protected] Sent: 01 February 2006 06:25
  Subject: Re: LF: XGJ

So it appears to be a dielectric breakdown in one of the insulations of one or both of the core windings. Has anyone done a dielectric test on the Decca Litz wire? I did some on #12 THHN wire a couple years ago and it arced at 5kv AC at 1kc as well as 5kv DC. No burning but it made some Ozone smell and the frying sound. I'll have to do some hi-pot tests Wednesday on the #12 Teflon insulated wire I have on my transformer.

This is good information to know. Hopefully others down the road can use this data to design their LF stations.

  Mike
  WE0H
  WD2XGI

----- Original Message ----- From: Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ