Re: LF: NAVSTAR

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: NAVSTAR
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:27:41 EST
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:29:41 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
In a message dated 28/02/2006 16:55:00 GMT Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
I have a ships small LF antenna NAVSTAR. It is enclosed in a white plastic
case and the actual antenna is a single sided copper clad board 475 mm long
by 35 mm wide. This is attached to an amplifier with 3 transistors, one
2N3823 and two 2N3904, there are two pot cores at the output side going to
the coax to RX.
Hi Mal

Navstar made equipment for use with the Decca Navigator chain, frequencies from approx 70 to 100 KHz, and it sounds like what you've got might be one of the antennas from that.

I had some Navstar kit in the past and found it almost impossible to find information.
Unless anybody knows better I'd suggest tracing the circuit yourself as it sounds fairly simple.
Marine low voltage was generally 24 but starting at 12 and seeing how it goes probably wouldn't hurt.
As long as it's not tuned it could be quite useful as a general antenna for LF.

regards

Nigel
G8PZR