LF: XKO off due to amp failure

To: RSGB LF <[email protected]>, LowFer LWCA <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: XKO off due to amp failure
From: Dexter McIntyre W4DEX <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:09:42 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:10:48 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Yesterday afternoon an unexpected thunderstorm developed before I got a chance to disconnect the antenna. A few cloud to ground strikes hit probably between a half and one mile way. Also what seems to have been a cloud to cloud strike occurred overhead while the transmitter was still connected. After the storm passed I powered back up. Initially all looked well but after watching the amp for a while I noticed small erratic changed in the FET current and output power. Also the power would creep up a bit during key down. Normally while operating at 400 watts the power would drop off a few watts during key down. I let it run overnight and this morning found the power to be down a bit but stable. About mid day I was just outside the shack and heard what sound like a metal pail falling to the floor and rolling around. Upon opening the shack door I immediately noticed the smell of burnt electronic components and no output from the amp. Upon removing the amp cover I saw FET guts scattered over the board and a black area on the PC board near the FETs. The amp has been so stable and reliable I can't help but suspect the FETs were damaged during the storm. So I'll be off the air for a while. On a positive note, since it's as warm outside as in the house I'll waste no energy airing the odor out before the wife returns home.

Dex, W4DEX / WD2XKO