Re: LF: VO1NA midday

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VO1NA midday
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 01:09:15 -0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:11:25 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Joe and Hartmut, This is quite interesting. You have obviously improved
the antenna system a bit Joe.

All I can think of is that at this time of year solar illumination is not
too strong, plus we have had a geomagnetic "minor storm" on the 3rd/4th. I
can only assume that there was little absorption in the D-layer but a low
"reflecting" layer which allowed the signal to hop across in daytime. My
guess is 4 hops to Hartmut. The advantage being that the route is almost all
sea-path so there is little loss on the "ground-bounce"  (Though in fact it
doesnt "bounce", at extreme range it comes in a grazing angles, skims the
surface and exits off up for the next meeting with the ionosphere. At worst
it is diffraction and the roughness of the sea surface is quite small
compared with the wavelength.)

I think my first mid-day reception of Joe was once (when he forgot to switch
off after breakfast !) after a geomagnetic storm....I also think it was late
in the year. At his time of year we used to see CFH well into daylight here,
and often again at about 1500z (zenith at mid-Atlantic). and I believe John
VO1ZJ used to copy DCF39 all day. Unfortunately I do not have Brian's
regular daytime plot of DCF39 at the moment to check daytime levels....his
path is marvellous for looking at daytime skywave. Frustratingly Kyoto's Dst
figures are unavailable too.....but as the site is off-air today maybe they
are sorting that out.

There were a few mid B-Class flares on the 6th but I dont think that would
have any effect....and they were very "narrow", background flux is mid
A-Class which is very low, and would normally yield poor daytime skywave on
the Porto <> Magdeburg path.

The events are getting more interesting now as with less activity it is a
little easier to correlate the different possible causes with the anamolous
propagation. It will be interesting to see if this repeats.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK