Re: LF: Archiving

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Archiving
From: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 06:12:26 EDT
Delivery-date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 11:12:56 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
In a message dated 09/10/2005 10:58:11 GMT Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:
I have a large number of e-mails relating to LF activity and wish to store them offline.  Does anybody have any information on how long a CD-ROM should remain readable?

Hi John

I'm sure if I say indefinitely someone will tell me I'm wrong but I suspect for most practical purposes, given a properly burned CD in the first place, that's probably about it.
I have music CDs 20 years old and still fine, commercial data CDs of similar age, and home cut data CDRs of at least 5 years.
There was talk once of earlier CDs having limited lifespan, due to supposed problems with the magnetic coating in use at the time, but I can also remember back in the 70s being told that Eproms would never retain their data for more than 10 years and many of those are still going strong after 30.
Even if you don't go for "indefinite" an estimate of 10 or 20 years minimum should be quite reasonable.

regards

Nigel
G8PZR