Re: LF: VO1NA

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VO1NA
From: Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 23:45:55 +0000
Cc: Joe Craig <[email protected]>
Delivery-date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:47:12 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Joe,
And as for warming a Decca (and
eventually some worms under the QTH) I have acquired a Hammond
No. 93895 1.1kVA type "Q" transformer 117 to 55 volts.  I have no
idea what a type "Q" is.  From what I've read it's a "control" xfmr,
but this tells me little.  Will it melt if I use it to heat the
Decca?

The Decca (for the full 1200 watts output) takes 60V at 22 amps, which is just over 1.3 kW. Given that the kW rating is as much as 20% lower than the kVA rating something like a 1.6 kA transformer would be ideal. One possibility - can you get a second Hammond transformer and parallel two of them? Another possibility would be to run the Decca at reduced power, perhaps 700-800 watts. If you do run full power with the one Hammond keep an eye on the transformer's temperature!
--
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ
FN42hi

Hi Steve (and Mike WE0H),

You are quite preceptive... a chainsaw weekend indeed.  I cut a 100'
line in the woods this afternoon. And as for warming a Decca (and
eventually some worms under the QTH) I have acquired a Hammond
No. 93895 1.1kVA type "Q" transformer 117 to 55 volts.  I have no
idea what a type "Q" is.  From what I've read it's a "control" xfmr,
but this tells me little.  Will it melt if I use it to heat the
Decca?  It looks a bit small for 1.1 kVA.  Interestingly, it's potted
and waterproof!  Its maximum temperature rise is 80 deg. C. I'm hoping
it will survive QRSS120.

73
Joe