[LW] XDW "issues"

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: [LW] XDW "issues"
From: "Laurence KL1X" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:25:08 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 02:30:55 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
XDW returned at 0117z 25th October. It had been off for an interdeterminate period.

The fault was on a #0 copper lug connecting to one of the Ceramic feed thru'swhere the loop conductors are connected. This lug and is connection had gone "HR" and produced a lot of heat enough to melt insulation and finally cause an open circuit on the lugs itself and the feed thru nuts and bolts. With around 50A (49.5Amps) of aerial current it pays to keep everything very very tight. I replaced every nut and bolt which had become heat stressed and "dark" to be on the safe side.

I rewired the 2T coupling loop, replaced the feed thru and reconnected and everything has come up fine with no changes in the loop tuning.

For people asking about the Decca 5501 ruggediness - it has been running into an "open" circuit for the past period during this fault - Nice thing is that virtually no current is drawn from the PA in class "N" (N between D and E ((!)) in this fault condition and everything stayed cool.

Currently running about 1.1Kw into the loop....Ill check everything coolish in an hour but I have a 3.30am start to catch a plane...Ill leave the gear on whilst Im away.

Laurence
kl1x/5 wd2xd2 137.775 staircase...
em26aq