LF: Re: Re: RE: Re: Advice will be gratefully received

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: RE: Re: Advice will be gratefully received
From: "Andy" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:17:27 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:21:21 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
My 700W design used  500V IRF462 devices in half bridge running from a 340V
rail - not a massive design margin there. I used transformer drive direct to
the devices, with the transformer primary driven from a TC4426 IC running
from +15V rail (via a capacitor of course!). The drive transformer turns
ratio was 1:1+1 so the FETs received 15V drive peak-peak.    I did wonder,
initially, about the need for negative gate clamps, but there was no reason
to do so at all for any reasons associated with  MOSFET itself.   Switch
Mode PSUs need DC restoration after a drive transformer because they don't
use a 1:1 duty cycle, but that is not the case here; duty cycle is exactly
50%.

That 700W Tx copied the Decca idea of having a small damped inductor in
series with the two FETs to absorb with the switching transient.   I blew
many  devices during the development phase, but all explosions were
accounted for and the design is very robust now.

Andy   G4JNT/G8IMR