Re: LF: Soil Conductivity Measurement

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Soil Conductivity Measurement
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:56:09 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:57:19 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
I´am mesuring ground conductivity over almost 1 year regularly
today it was 15,6 Ohm / m ( measured with 16Volt@ 50Hz )
I try to built a measuring device with other frequency , somthing odd
( no multibles from 50Hz, thinking about  111 Hz - ) and automatic
daily measurements ( at present times done manually)
Would like to discuss about it
Uwe, DK1KQ

Although it is interesting to know the ground conductivity, the main losses in a small LF antenna are environmental. This includes losses in trees, buildings etc. These are sometimes all lumped together and misleadingly described as 'ground losses'.

A more useful thing to measure would be the total environmental loss which varies with the seasons (my antenna needs much more inductance when the leaves fall off the trees) and weather effects such as rain and frozen soil.

Mike, G3XDV
(currently QRT because of high work loads)