Re: LF: Linux software???

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Linux software???
From: Alberto di Bene <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:35:28 +0200
Cc: Post LWCA Lowfer <[email protected]>
Delivery-date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:36:38 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Z-usanet-msgid: XID646JHmNjC0189X28
Mike,

  I seem to recall to have received a report a couple of years ago saying that somebody (don't  remember who)
did succeed in running Argo under some Windows emulator (maybe it was Wine).

At the risk of being flamed (please don't) my opinion about Linux is that it is an excellent OS for running
server applications, but as far as the desktop PC is concerned, it still lacks some user friendliness and ease of
use when compared to Windows. I have Fedora Core 4 installed on my multi boot PC, and so can compare
directly Win XP and Linux on the same hardware. Linux is slower, expecially in the GUI part, and, speaking
from a developer point of view, it still lacks some development tools that Windows has.

I am convinced that this situation will change in a few years, if the current momentum in favor of Linux will
continue. Then probably I will make myself the switchover, producing Linux versions of Argo/Spectran/SDRadio
etc.

73  Alberto  I2PHD

WE0H Mike wrote:
Is any of Alberto's software written for Linux? I did a Lebranet install
the other night and am finding it way better than Winblows so I want to
use Linux for my LW station if possible. I haven't tried any software in
the Windows emulator yet so that may work fine but I would rather have
true Linux ARGO or whatever if possible.

Thanks,

Mike
WE0H
WD2XGI