LF: Fw: Re: Modification of the blower circuit and VFO drive and protect

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Fw: Re: Modification of the blower circuit and VFO drive and protection for drive failure of the ROPEX LF TRANSMITTER
From: "PA0WFO" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 10:36:38 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 28 May 2005 09:37:03 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
To the members of the LF group ,

As suggested by Mal G3KEV it is wise to fit a protection circuit in the modified  ROPEX which prevents keying the transmitter   in case of no drive caused by a disconnected VFO or a wrong position of the VFO-Xtal drive switch . Normally it is difficult to modify a existing PCB so I made a small add on in the corner of the PCB next to the oscillator HCT4060 .
You need the following parts : one small pnp transistor type 2N2907 or equivalent , one diode type 1N4148 or equivalent ,one ceramic capacitor miniature 150pf 63 Volts and a small multi terminal tie point strip . Proceed as follows , fasten the tie pointstrip with the screw in the corner of the PCB next to the HCT4060 ,disconnect the red wire from the soldering lug marked key on the PCB and connect it to a lug on the tiestrip , solder the transistor with the emitter to the lug marked key on the PCB  and  the collector to  where the red wire is connected to the tiestrip , solder the base to a free point on the strip and also solder the diode between the base and the emitter ( anode to base , cathode to emitter ) , after that connect the capacitor between the base and the hot side of R6 ( 1K ) next to pin 8 of the 4060 . Thats all .
How it works : From R6 comes a 274 Khz pulse train if there is drive . This pulse is fed to the base of the transistor and rectified by the diode , the negative voltage developed over the diode with respect to the emitter turns the transistor on and the transmitter can be keyed if there is drive .
Beware ! This circuit does protect against absence of drive but not against drive of a wrong frequency or wrong level . You first have to check your VFO level(300-500 millivolts at abt.  6.5 Mhz ) before operating this circuit .

73,William PAØWFO