Re: LF: JT65

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: JT65
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:02:18 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
In a message dated 13/04/2005 13:22:40 GMT Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

  I am by no means an expert of JT65, but, as far as I know, its coding
takes into account
the structure of the call signs of the hams active in EME mode, using
them as an alphabet of
symbols to search into. Probably the excellent ideas behind JT65 could
be used for a new
program, but I doubt that JT65 can be used as it is.... but of course I
may be proved wrong,
as often happened...
Hello Alberto.

I'm no expert either and I quite agree standard JT65 is too wide and the tone 'bursts' probably too fast for optimal use on LF.
However, I recall from the notes that come with the software that there is a mode which does not anticipate the EME sequence. This was introduced after several DX-Peditions found that odd prefixes and suffixes would not be accepted in normal operation. I understand you still have to send a particular number of characters, but it allows random message formats.

My thought was that if this mode was used and characters selected that occurred close to the JT65 sync tone, then the overall transmission may be narrow enough to try on LF.
Just to see if the idea of building up a message over several transmission periods with TX and RX  both time synchronised could allow an evaluation of the technique.

Of course the current controversy on the EME reflector revolves around the present version of JT65 using a table of callsigns of active EME stations. Probably best to not add active LF stations to that database.

Regards

David