LF: Loran-C future in Europe

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Loran-C future in Europe
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:30:30 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all, I have been alerted to some statements on the NELS web site by
Finbar  EI0CF at malin Head, who has had a bulletin via the Irish
Commisioner of Lights. The following is taken off the home page of the NELS
web site. The link in the notice will atke you to the page and more data
will be found under the news heading in the drop-down menu.

--------
NOTICE CONCERNING LORAN-C IN NORTHWEST EUROPE

The Northwest European Loran-C System (NELS) will be discontinued on 1
January 2006.
However the Loran-C signal will remain available in part of the present
coverage area.

The most up-to-date information can be found on http://www.nels.org

Further notification with more details will be issued before 1 October 2005.

It would seem that the Northern European nations have withdrawn from the
consortium and it looks as though Sylt and the more northern chain will
cease on 1st Jan next year. So far only the French intend to carry on with
their chain. I suspect that this will not last long when the full cost and
the committment to Galileo (EU GPS) is realised. I also suspect that this
will knock the BT "experiment" on the head.

Finbar send 73 to all his LF friends

Cheers de Alan G3NYK