LF: SAQ and VO1NA

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: SAQ and VO1NA
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:40:40 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all, particularly Lawrence and Jim, It is interesting that your found SAQ
weaker than expected.  We have had a succession of geomagnetic storms which
have had some effect on 136. Brians path from Porto to Magdeburg is showing
some  10dB lower signal than "normal". Another point is that 1700z is just
around sunset in the UK and there can be a distinct dip in signals as the
daylight skywade goes out before the darkness skywave picks up strength, so
it is difficult to make clear judgements on so short a transmission. They
cannot have been too weak from Grimeton as there was good copy "portable" by
Bill Ashlock reported on the LWCA reflector. I dont really have a feel for
the relative differences between 136kHz and 17kHz, the latter is well in the
"waveguide" propagation part of the spectrum, and the wavelength is so long
that a layer of absorbing ionisation may not have a great effect. There was
no reports of fading but this may not be surprising on so short a
transmission.

Joe was reported early this evening (19th) by Hartmut. My interference has
subsided now but I have seen nothing at all over the last hour. Even one of
the more distant Loran lines is a bit broken. It may be that there was a
path early in the "Twilight period" but absorption set in after true
darkness on the whole path. Usually I receive Joe almost regardless of
conditions. He is weaker during storm periods but I rarely lost the trace on
his frequency.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
alan.melia(at)btinternet.com