LF: Linear amps for data

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Linear amps for data
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:33:35 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
On 12 Dec 2004 at 16:33, Bill de Carle wrote:

Another way to do this is to use a linear Tx and an audio beacon
message generated by a sound card.
This discussion has come full circle since I asked for
designs for linear transmitters for data modes.
It seems to me that there is still a case for a 'simple' linear
Tx to allow newcomers to get on the band without the
perceived 'barrier' of learning Morse. Of course, for working
DX the penalty of lower efficiency may be a problem, but
there are plenty of LF operators who have no interest in DX.
One person mentioned the BK Electronics audio amps,
though as I recall he had not checked its linearity. These
could be a cheap way of generating 100W or so, but I dread
to think of the linearity of an amp operated well outside its
design frequency.
And in case the Thought Police want to have a go, I love
Morse and also working DX. It's just that many others do
not share this preference.
Mike, G3XDV
http://lf.apersonalguide.co.uk