Re: LF: Variable-PSK theory (warning - goes on a bit!)

To: RSGB LF Group <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Variable-PSK theory (warning - goes on a bit!)
From: Wolf DL4YHF <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 23:46:23 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Jim and the group,

After carefully reading Jim's article, and collecting some more material about MSK, GMSK, etc, I came to the conclusion that there is a bit more behind (G)MSK than just BPSK with additional quadrature component (90°) to fill the gap.

Jim wrote:
> I beleive Wolf has used a type of PSK where the phase of the carrier is varied linearly from 0 to pi radians,
> or pi to 0 radians, for a 0 to 1 or 1 to 0 bit transition.
Yes that's true, but the transition did not use 100% of the symbol time (but 10..20%) to stay compatible with the "PSK31" standard decoders. So this was not (yet) comparable to MSK.

I have modified G3PLX's QPSK-mode into Offset-QPSK by delaying the Q-component in the modulator by a half symbol time, and in the I-component of the demodulator to compensate this. By doing so, there are no more 180°-phase transitions in the signal any longer (only +/- 90°), so the amplitude only drops by 3dB. Still not perfectly suited for class C amplifiers, but the requirements for a "linear" TX are not as tough as for AM-shaped QPSK or BPSK. No tests done with any of the "Novel" (G)MSK decoders yet, but at least I am beginning to understand what the tricky parts are.

After all this high-tech stuff, I will be active on 136kHz using the good old morse code 136kHz on saturday and sunday, but will look out for other signals as well ;-)

Regards,
Wolf DL4YHF.