LF: Re: VO1NA and CFH, Nov 29th

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: VO1NA and CFH, Nov 29th
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:25:43 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Markus, I did not comment on this at the time. Yes Joe is about 1000km
nearer to us than CFH. That could make a considerable difference to the
signal received at this point in the "recovery". The GC path is not very
different and the signal from CFH almost passes over Joe on its way to
western Europe.

See last night.... Hartmut has good signals from Joe and I who am quite a
bit closer could barely detect traces in the noise. Under flat conditions
Joe usually defeats the noise and fully decodable. I had a very good level
from CFH a few nights ago and then signals were down by nearly 20dB the next
night or two. Conditions are very changable on long paths, we keep getting a
top-up to the D-layer from these small geomag storms. At least it keeps it
interesting !

I keep meaning to try plotting Brian's and my own logs of CFH on the same
graph pane. There are often quite big differences in the timing of the peaks
of signal.

73 de Alan G3NYK