RE: LF: Linear amplifiers and MSK

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Linear amplifiers and MSK
From: "james moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:50:14 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Andy, LF Group,

I did try some experiments to do this in 2001 - the variable-phase modulator
circuit is still available from G3YXM's web pages:

http://www.wireless.org.uk/moritz.htm

It isn't particularly elegant, but it does do the job - I expect a soundcard
DSP implementation wouldn't be all that hard. I can't remember if I tried it
on the air or not - but certainly I did try some local experiments using a
low level signal summed with off-air LF noise, using the VE2IQ "coherent"
modulator/demodulator software. I seem to remember at the time that there
was little difference in "readability" between the ramped-phase BPSK signal,
and the standard envelope-shaped BPSK waveform. The spectrum was not quite
as clean as the envelope-shaped BPSK, but would have been perfectly
adequate. Perhaps it is time to revisit this technique.

The availability of DSP has meant modulation systems can be almost
arbitrarily complicated with little hardware penalty, but I agree with Andy
that other practical considerations play a great part too. One sees some
elaborate modulation scheme advanced at length, after which the inventor
triumphantly announces it offers an improvement of 0.35dB over cruder
techniques, and you start to wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to make
the antenna 100mm higher! I think the ability to use a non-linear TX with
constant amplitude signal is worth a 3 - 6dB advantage in terms of reduced
power dissipation and/or circuit complexity, e.g. a 100W linear PA probably
uses the same amount of components, heatsinks and DC power as a class D PA
of 300W.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU