Re: LF: Sunday activity report

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Sunday activity report
From: Brian Hodgson <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:57:49 GMT
Sender: [email protected]
WE0H writes: Can you describe his loop and loop tuner box?

Hi All -

Now that I've sorted out my access to the Reflector I'll try to describe what I'm using.

The loop is relatively small !! It's 9.5m wide by 3.5m high and 1.5m off the ground. Its made from satellite downlead coax (braid and foil type) and has a dc resistance of about 0.3 ohms. Initial measurements (using a step down toroid transformer) indicated an rf impedance of less than one ohm. Taking a close look at the map shows that the loop horizontals are lined up 25 degrees off north so I guess the nulls are on bearings of 115 & 295. QTH is Watford. Transmissions on Sunday used the transformer and a series 34 nF which gave 10 amps loop current. I've since changed the transformer for an L-match (8 micro Henries and 27 nF) to match the 50 ohm feeder to the one ohm load. I now have 13 amps from the 90 watts coming out of the feeder.

BTW - the 90 watts is from a LINEAR amplifier so can run PSK31. So far, only LF PSK contacts have been with Jim (M0BMU) and John (G0NVZ). Is anyone else able to run 136 kHz PSK ?

Brian