LF: Re: VO1NA today!

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: VO1NA today!
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:58:46 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Hartmut, yes this is the time of year for it!! I did see Joe during the
day-time once last winter, but it was the only time he forgot to switch the
rig off in the morning !! The conditions are very quiet at the moment and
there is little extra absorbing ionisation in the D layer. The 1400z to
1500z slot is about the time where the sun is at its zenith at the centre of
the path giving the highest level of UV ionisation. Paradoxically this is
"refelcting" the signal not absorbing it as normal at higher ionisation
levels.

I believe this path is probably 4 D-layer hops. I have seen more regularly
signals like you have reported in the early evening recently. In these you
may find that the solar (night-time) shadow at an altitude of 100km is only
about mid Atlantic when the signal appears. I believe under these conditions
there may be 2 D-layer (50km) hops followed by one hop from maybe 100km, the
night-time "reflection" level. I think that what you see confirms that there
are now very few injected (precipitated) electrons left from the last
geomagnetic disturbance. Signal variations are now probably due to
enhancement and cancelltions between different path mode (2-hop, 3-hop, and
4-hop)

It is possible to see this daytime skywave effect on the daily plots posted
by Brian CT1DRP. His path to DCF39 in daytime is mainly by skywave and you
can see a peak in the signal at about 1100 - 1200z. Because this path is
only 1960km and the TX is 50kW the signal is always visible above the noise.
I believe that if CFH was running you would probably be seeing their signal
in daytime now on most days. It gets even more noticable as the days get
shorter.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
alan.melia(at)btinternet.com