LF: RE: Re: Save energy, but generate QRM ...

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Re: Save energy, but generate QRM ...
From: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:28:00 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

About three years ago I tentitively tried out one of these energy saving bulbs and didn't find any interference throughout the LF/HF spectrum and have, over a period introduced more into the house. These bulbs do save a lot of energy, which is a consideration with cost of energy in this country. So perhaps we could draw up a list of low energy bulbs that don't cause
interference.

Most of the bulbs I have are cheap ones from Woolworths and are described as
BIAX V257 made by GE Lighting.

<snip>

Peter, G3LDO

That's good news, Peter. I tried three bulbs (same model) and got each time
the same problem.
This means that the issue comes from the design, not from a specific faulty
piece.
The peak of QRM for the LP16 Philips bulbs is around 137 kHz, slowly
drifting when temperature increases.
Maybe your own GE BIAX V257 bulbs radiate frequencies combs which are far
enough from our 137 kHz band.

73

JL F6AGR