LF: receivers good or bad - its the AGC and the noize blanker as well...

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: receivers good or bad - its the AGC and the noize blanker as well....?
From: "Laurence KL1X" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 14:30:33 -0800
Sender: [email protected]

TS850 .v. 870 and them pesky Loran lines...

I've been playing (that's a good word for it more than "research") on comparisons between the TS870S and the TS850 at this location - the major (major) Noise source is QRN from storms this time of year, as the SMPU's etc level is pretty low.

I don't have to worry about Imod/xmod here/selectivity issues here and I run the RX on SSB at b/ws of around 2.8Khz so I can capture DCF39 and 137Khz at the same time on 2 or more Argo sessions.

With the agc "on" both receivers the noise levels (crack bang whallop) sits, at say S9+10. The 850 is a more sensitive down here at LF but the noise figure differences is blown away by the QRN, well at this time of year anyway, on these larger rx arrays in use here.

With the AGC's both Off on both receivers the 870 is able to delve into the noise and return better s/n. or Argo decodes at dot 30 - its not a small difference, its Huge.

It seems to just be the NB on the 870 is better at blanking out lightning and maybe the AGC constants even with off are still "on" on the 850?

For sure, without the NB on and the AGC ON I can hardly see a signal that is 30dB above noiz between these near constant crashes.

Given the tests so far running both receivers from the same source and not equalizing levels for the 850's better sensitivity, the 870 is able to "see" into the noiz more effectively than the 850 (with either NB1 or NB2 or combinations of both on the 850) I think I've also eliminated the levels/ AGC nature of the Argo plots as a possibility too....

On a typical noisy day here in Okie - and remember these results are for this type of noise only...
using Argo the 870 gives some 15"db" results than the 850.

This would explain the very good results, much better than anticipated results in Ghana and Costa Rica - Even though the noize level was painfully high the 870 produced DCF39 at good levels.

Another anomaly -

I have another brain scratcher which I haven't yet figured out and may be a "high angle" reception issue (or not), but my large 350ft circum tuned loop (NE/SW firing) produces good daytime Loran lines from stations in the Gt Lakes area and Southern US chains (hundreds of miles away)- but the smaller K9AY which can put a heart shaped back lobe in 4 directions does not. At the moment we lose the Loran lines for most of the night....

But the K9AY does the business and actually produces better s/n from Eric XFX down the road (most ground wave during the day but definately skyway/groundwave mix during the night and a dawn/up to 3 hours after dawn enhancement of about 4dB over average...)-

I switched the K9AY to fire other directions, but no it still doesn't produce strong Loran lines. I've checked to see if the Loran lines are something else ie Imod or some other nasty in the rx chain but No.

The K9AY is shown to have a take off angle of 25 deg (hmm) but the difference is so manifest - its will be interesting to compare tonight when DCF39 comes in and or we start to see longer haul inter US 137Khz activity and see whether seeing Loran lines or not means seeing long(er) haul signals.... any thoughts on this?

Laurence KL1x/5 still in Oklahoma