Re: LF: IRAQ

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: IRAQ
From: WE0H Mike <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:05:06 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Hey Mal,
Could you post some of those pics on a server for all of us to see? That would be nice to see some old ham radio pics.

Mike
WE0H
WD2XGI

hamilton mal wrote:
Story
I was a technical advisor with the IRAQI airforce during 1957 at RAF Habbaniya and my call was YI2DX. My equipment was a SX28 rx and a modified Collins TCS 6 tx with suitable antennas for all bands. There was a RAF club station YI2AM that I also used, it had a RCA 4336 tx and a SX28 rx plus a few accessories and a lot of big antennas for all bands. There were a couple of other radio amateurs, and we were all kept busy by those chasing YI for DXCC and other awards, especially W6AM and W6HX that wanted a QSO on every HF band.
The California boys were always in hot persuit plus other W stns and others throughout the world.
I also operated mobile around Iraq and apart from Baghdad that I knew very well I operated from Falluagh, Ramadi, Babylon and other places that are now household names with the recent activities that are taking place out there.
The lowest QRG in those days was 160 metres, its a pity we did not have 136 khz !!
When visiting the villages the only way to get food was to get invited into a local house, and the food would be lamb cooked in a variety of ways, with chappati bread.
I still have a lot of photographs taken in those days, the base at Habbaniya, villages, desert, antennas, operators and the ham shacks.
In the light of recent events perhaps I ought to write a book about bygone days.
de Mal/G3KEV/YI2DX
PS I still have some QSL cards for those that need one !!!