Re: LF: Antenna Insulators

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Antenna Insulators
From: "Dave Pick" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:16:57 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear all.

I don't like pipe because water collects inside and it's amazing how far an
arc can track down a damp path!
If you do use it, seal the ends with silicone sealant (applied in a dry
place), that seems to work.

Dave G3YXM.

> Has anyone had success using white PVC pipe (say ~ 1.5" dia) for
insulators?
> I am wondering if a 12 -18" piece at the voltage ends of my flatop would
be
> enough to prevent any flash-over?

I am about to find out because I've built just such insulators for my
flattop.  Mine are 2cm dia by about 35cm and have 9cm corona rings on
each end.  I'll have pictures soon but are just like the ones Ralph W5JGV
built as seen here:
http://www.emachine.com/insulators/ring_finished_insulator.jpg

That picture is from Ralph's page for these insulators which is here:
http://www.emachine.com/insulators.htm

The mast material for my flattop was delivered yesterday, so I hope to
have WD2XFX back on the air by the time the weekend is over ... and I'll
see how these insulators perform.

Good luck,
Eric