LF: Propagation

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Propagation
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:12:35 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi all, Long distance propagation seems to be good on the night-time paths
...see Joe VO1NA's report from Sam RN6NB at 6600km. Steve W3EEE shows
reasonable received levels of DCF39 but not "the best".

We have had a period of about 10days since the last minor storm (Kp=5) which
occurred 4 days after a Kp=6 event. It would generally take a few more days
for conditions to really settle in to the "good" category. Unfortunately a
sun-spot appeared, grew rapidly and ejected a Class X1.1 X-ray flare this
morning (26th Feb). The spot is Earth-facing so the CME will collide with
the Earth in about 2 days time, say Saturday 28th. It will take a couple of
days for the effects to show on LF radio propagation, so we can expect a
deterioration in long-distance night-time conditions by about the 1st March.
As a consolation shorter distance daytime paths should improve for at least
two days, with up to 6dB (maybe as high as 10dB) enhancement timed when the
sun is at its zenith (mid-day) at the mid-path point.

Good Hunting
Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]