Re: LF: Busy band

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Busy band
From: "Marek SQ5BPM" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:45:12 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
OH5UFO,   G3YXM,   RU6LA (called him, no response ),
DK7FC, DL3FDO, S57A, SP5ZCC (called him, but no response ),
F6BWO.

Yesterday I've been calling CQ many times during the evening using both QRSS
3s (137.715) and CW (136.700), only worked DL3FDO on QRSS in the end,
however he faded away at the end of QSO. Apart of him I've only seen RU6LA,
YU7AR, G3YXM (called him, but no response). I also heard OK1DTN (probably)
on CW when the local QRM noise got a little lighter. In principle - I think
there's no way for me to make a CW QSO (or longer distance QRSS QSO) during
"prime time" on the TV. I've had extreme noise this Saturday between 2000z
and 2230z, after that it got only better. Additionally there is something
arcing in the nearby 15kV transmission line, when it "turns on" I have a
white screen in Argo and it can be well heard on all bands including 2m.
Fortunately it lasts usually no longer than ca. 1 minute. Anyway, I will try
with a receiving loop next time (have to build it first HI).

I measured with an oscilloscope what happens in the T antenna when
receiving - there is ca. 20mV p-p of noise after the tuning coil, at the
input of the selective preamplifier. After the preamplifier stage there is
ca. 140mV p-p of signal, which in 90% consists of the DCF39 carrier (can be
seen very well on the oscilloscope). This does not cause problems only when
placed "far" from the RX passband - thus I am using the FT-990 on USB at
136300, having the QRSS sub-band in the far end of what Argo can copy
(1400Hz); DCF is then at 2530Hz, well suppressed when additionally using
250Hz CW filter in the transceiver.

If I have time this afternoon and evening, I will try to be QRV again, with
a break for the http://www.qsl.net/on7yd/candlelight.htm . Hope the 15kV
will stay off for a while ;-)

73! Marek SQ5BPM
SP5ZCC Scouts Radio Club