LF: TA XBAND

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: TA XBAND
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:03:54 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Dex
Tnx for ur reply.
I will be off to GI3KEV QTH soon for a few weeks so will not be active from Scarborough for a while. My dxpeditions are a one man affair and I have to do in a couple of day what others take weeks to do. Get the 120 ft tower unparked and extended, rig the antennas for LF and the HF bands. After all this effort when I get active on 136 Khz I might be lucky to work a couple of station on CW, most these days seem to be on QRS although perfectly audible and workable on CW to me.
On the other hand GI/Tyrone on HF is still rare especially on CW and I get a pile up on any band that I choose to operate.
I often have to pull the plug or the pile up would go on for ever !! On a recent trip to CT1/Algarve it was the same on HF.
LF activities do not justify the effort.
I have offered other amateurs both in Scarboro and Tyrone the antenna facilities but none are interested. Most do not have the equipment or cannot be bothered.
VE1ZJ and VE1ZZ are good cw ops but they have gone QRT, the only other active VE stn these days seems to work QRS only. The Russian stns also seem to have gone QRT this year so it is not very encouraging.
Maybe later next year.
By the way most weekends there is a lot of EU activity from OH, SM, PA, DL ,S52, I5 YU7 etc all on QRS these days on 137.7 khz and I am surprised that you have not copied any of them. They are all very strong with me.

73 and HNY
de Mal/G3KEV