LF: Re: Off Topic---ADSL Analysis s/w

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Off Topic---ADSL Analysis s/w
From: "Stewart Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:47:01 -0800
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Brian,

IMO, there is no general purpose software for this, because
there is no standard way that connection status and statistics
are communicated to the host.

If you have a stand-alone modem, there is usually a program
called 'dslmon' or similar that is supplied with the modem or
available for download from the manufacturer's site.

Modem-routers have an embedded web server and/or a telnet
interface that allows you to see connection parameters and
statistics.  For example, on my Cisco 827, you can give a
"show dsl interface atm0" and it will show upload and
download speeds, S/N margins, attenuation, bits per
frequency, CRC and Reed-Solomon error counts,
bytes and packets sent and received, etc.

Is the line / service new?
If not, is the trouble new, or has it always been unreliable?
Do you have a splitter, or a filter per analog device on the line?
How long is your local loop?
Is your ISP and LEC (local telephone company) the same?
If not, is your connection "unbundled" (ISP's DSLAM in LEC's central office)?
If not, do you know what interface exists between LEC and ISP?
What speeds do you connect at?
Does they match the limits appropriate for your contracted service?
During non-outage times, are there performance problems?
If so, is there packet loss? slow pings? slow upload speed? slow download speed?
What kind of modem or router do you have?
Is your host connected via USB, Ethernet, or wirelessly?
Are you connected to the provider via PPPoE, PPPoA, RFC 1483?
If PPP is involved, will the modem, router or host reconnect automatically?
If so, how long does it take?
Does it have to retry many times?
Is there a "DSL sync" or similar indicator?
If so, does it go out when you have trouble?
Are your outages correlated with traffic? Time of day?
How often do they occur?

73,

Stewart KK7KA