Re: LF: re PL259s

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: re PL259s
From: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:31:22 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:53:28 -0000 "Alan Melia"
<[email protected]> writes:
Hi Jim, you forgot the straw and camel droppings in the list of materials to cast a "shiny" PL259. I have a feeling the difficulty soldering is the much vaunted nickel plating. The MaCom version that Harry does is robust. I spent about 10 years recently with a PMR firm fitting, amongst other users, Taxis and farm tractors with PMR. We were forever having trouble with the cheapies about 6 months after fitting, often sooner in the tractors. When we started fitting good ones, I can never remember having to replace one. In fact I used to scrounge the second-hand ones for personal use. We used to buy from ITT at Harlow now Arrow....or have they been sold again.....or closed

Consider a US company RF connections,, on the web. They sell good quality
PL 259s for ,,I believe 2 dollars US. I place them on RG 8 cable by folding the braid
back over the
sheath and screwing them on the cable and soldering the center connecter,
sounds bad
bur really works for me. a gob of weather proofing and they are complete.
For me this idea works well up through 144 Mhz

Bob  K3DJC