Re: LF: Beacons stays on

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Beacons stays on
From: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:45:47 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 11/21/03 4:24:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

Excuse me, but it's not so bad here.

No, not bad at all. I spent many happy years in that region as a youngster. It's just a bit of a change from Anchorage, for certain.

There ARE mountains in the distance. They are just so far in the distance you can't see them :)

Yes, I've got to remember "distance" has a somewhat expanded meaning on the Plains; as illustrated in the story about the two Texans who were trying to outdo each other bragging about the size of their ranches.

One boasted, "I can climb in my pickup truck first thing in the morning, drive and drive all day, and not reach the other side of my spread by nightfall."

The other one said, "Yep.  I used to have a truck like that, too."

John