Re: LF: Websters Dictionary

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Websters Dictionary
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 22:55:24 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

Hi Laurence

FT817 is more sensitive/seems to work better with IPO control ON  @ LF

- AGC OFF copes with Lightning strikes OK. NB does work but I leave off
for
QRSS

Did a bit of agonising as to which rig to take - the FT-817 or the IC-706
Both rigs are early mark 1 versions - both are deaf on 136kHz although the
frequency readout and stability are good.
The CN operation is for HF as well as LF. The 817 and the PSU requirements
are much lighter - however my 817 doesn't have any filters. The cost of a CW
filter is over £95.
The 706 has SSB and CW filtering, has more power so I have splashed out for
a Watson 25SM SMPSU(£76), which is about the same size and weight as the
706.
On LF the pre-amp on the 706 introduces a lot of noise, which comprises a
carriers and a bands of noise every 500Hz, even with the antenna
disconnected. The noise goes off when the preamp is switched off. Anyone
else know of this problem and a possible fix?
Trying to get around the problem with a box comprising loading coil,
matching unit and two G0MRF 136kHz amplifiers. This will hopefully resonate
the whole of the HF antenna system against ground, including the HF ATU,
using the 706 without a preamp.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

e-mail <[email protected]>