LF: Polypropylene Ropes

To: "RSGB LF Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Polypropylene Ropes
From: "Tom Boucher" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:06:58 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Group

Has anyone out there found a low-cost alternative to polypropylene ropes
for use as guys and halyards? The readily available, usually blue,
polyprop is affected by UV and, after a couple of years, becomes brittle
and breaks. If you then handle it, it will tear your hands to pieces,
leaving lots of splinters.

Polyprop is available cheaply at around 10 or 12p a metre and as my VLW
antenna has a total of 8 halyards, I need something low cost. I intend
to visit a chandlers store and seek their advice, but wondered if anyone
has any ideas?

73, Tom G3OLB