Re: LF: Propagation

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Propagation
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 20:10:26 +0100
Cc: [email protected]
Sender: <[email protected]>
I have not been following the transatlantic path on 136 since I got the station back but have been frustrated by the recent hf conditions. Alan is correct when he says things have shown a sign of improvement but they have a long way to go before they are anything like normal.

My frustration has always been that when I look at the propogation forecasts (I use a combination of DK0WCY and the site at http://www.hfradio.org/propagation.html). Inevitably when I check when I know conditions are lousy (and often not even hearing DK0WCY on 10144) it says conditions are 'Normal' when I know they are far from so! There seems to be a variance between the theoretical forecasts put out on these sites and how they relate to amateur experience.

It was interesting to read some of the comments on the Elecraft reflector yesterday. They had arranged an 'Elecraft Net' on 18112 which turned out not to be very successful. At the time involved (2000z) propagation between USA and Europe was probably past it (I wasn't even bothering to listen). While some of the mid US stations commented that conditions were 'great' others on the East Coast and West Coast found them very poor - clearly propogation paths differ enormously between different areas, and those further south always fair far better than us in the UK.

There is clearly a strong link between HF and LF propogation, as shown by Alan's very weak detection of CFH last week when the HF bands were to all intents and purposes dead. However I am not convinced that we should religiously believe the theoretical figures and there may also be openings when the theory indicates otherwise.

This coming weekend I am hoping for a good bash at WPX CW so hoping things improve an awful lot before then!

73 Dave G3YMC

[email protected]
http://www.dsergeant.btinternet.co.uk